Gavin Sole of Southbroom Golf Club.
1. Age? 49
2. Birthday? June 22.
3. Second name? Sean.
4. Nickname? Big Fish.
ALSO READ: Big Fish hooks title number 11
5. Who introduced you to golf? A neighbour in Zimbabwe, Mrs Brown. I was 3 years old and she saw me swinging a stick. She took me to the course every Saturday morning. So the bug bit early.
6. Which clubs have you been a member at? Simunya Golf Club (Swaziland), Maritzburg Golf Club, Victoria Country Club, Darnall Country Club, Southbroom Golf Club.
7. Which was the first golf course you ever played at? Mangola Golf Club, Zimbabwe.
8. What is your career highlight? Winning the South African IPT at Durban Country Club in 2009.
9. Golf course you would love to play that you haven’t already and why? Has to be Augusta, reason because we can’t play there. St Andrews a must.
10. Provincial colours in any other sport? Schools’ waterpolo and U23 indoor cricket, both for KZN.
11. Schools you attended? Merchiston Prep and then the only decent school Maritzburg College!
12. If you could have won any of the Majors, which one? The Open.
13. Why did you never turn professional? Work and life. But then if I had I may never have met Tracey and had two wonderful children, Graham and Megan, now teenagers.
14. Holes in one? 6. Kokstad 9th, Pretoria CC 6th, Southbroom 4th – had 3 there – and 11th.
15. Albatross? 2. Southbroom 9th and 17th
16. Dream fourball amateur and pro? Pro – Tiger Woods, Jack Nicklaus, Tom Watson. Amateur – Sean Baker, Colin Iddon, Carl Rundgren.
17. Beef or chicken? Chicken.
18. World Cup final, T20 cricket or rugby? Must be cricket, we need to win a World Cup some time.
19. Countries you have been to? Zimbabwe, Swaziland, Malawi, Botswana and Mozambique. Never left Africa.
20. Player you’d choose to hole a 6 foot putt to save your life, pro and amateur? Tiger Woods. Tom Lovett.
21. Luckiest shot that mattered? Hole in one on 6th hole at Pretoria Country Club during an IPT match against Free State. In the morning I had shanked one off that same tee. Best part was that my foursomes partner Ryan de Beer (who’d laughed) was there to witness it going in!
22. One shot or round or moment you’d like to take over? As a 9-year-old I was playing junior championship in Swaziland and had to make par on the last hole (a par 3) to win. Hit the tee shot into bunker then made a 9. Kept hitting over green into the other bunker. That was quite embarrassing with everyone watching.
23. Ever broken a club, what happened? Hit a seven iron and head flew off. I was about 12 years old and was petrified to tell my mother!
24. Ever felt like quitting? Always when playing badly during a round that matters.
25. Ever had an N/R? Only due to rain.
26. Which do you prefer, strokeplay or matchplay? Strokeplay, love the challenge and pressure that comes along with wanting to win.
27. What irritates you most in golf? Missing a short putt.
28. Best and worst advice received? Best – Derek James teaching me to hit both a fade and draw. Worst – A well known pro, when I asked him as a junior for his advice on what one needs to do to become a pro – he said ‘don’t!’
29. Historical figure (dead or alive) you would liked to have met? Seve Ballesteros.
30. Advice to anyone taking up the game? It is the best game in the world. You can play from a young age up to your 90s provided you stay fit. No game is the same.
HAVE YOUR SAY
Like the South Coast Herald’s Facebook page, follow us on Twitter and Instagram
Credit: Source link